Câu hỏi trắc nghiệm (15 câu):
- Exercise 1: From the four words or phrases -a, b, c or d- choose the one that best completes the sentence.
Especially important to many people _________.
- A. there is legislation against pollution
- B. is legislation against pollution
- C. it is legislation against pollution
- D. legislation against pollution is
According to some educators, the goal of teaching is to help students learn what _________ to know to live a well-adjusted and successful life.
- A. they need
- B. do they need
- C. they are needed
- D. as they may need
Mike hasn’t begun working on his Ph.D. _________ working on his master’s.
- A. still because he is yet
- B. yet as a result he is still
- C. yet because he is still
- D. still while he is already
_________ is extremely dangerous.
- A. At very high speeds driving cars
- B. Cars at very high speeds driving
- C. Cars driving at very high speeds
- D. Driving cars at very high speeds
Not until the seventeenth century _______ to measure the speed of light.
- A. anyone did even attempt
- B. did anyone even attempt
- C. even did anyone attempt
- D. did even attempt anyone
- Exercise 2: Choose the sentence – a, b, c or d – which is closest in meaning to the sentence printed before.
No one else must know this.
- A. You are not advised to know this.
- B. Everyone else must be silent.
- C. This must be kept secret.
- D. You should let every one else know this.
Would you like some coffee? Peter asked me.
- A. Peter offered to give me some coffee.
- B. Peter asked me if I liked coffee.
- C. Peter asked me to make him a cup of coffee.
- D. Peter suggested having coffee.
We could have seen the movie if the tickets had not been so expensive.
- A. We wanted to see the movie, but the tickets were sold out.
- B. We couldn’t afford the tickets to see the movie.
- C. We saw the movie even though the tickets were expensive.
- D. The tickets were inexpensive, so we saw the movie.
There was very little response to the charity appeal.
- A. Nobody responded to the charity appeal.
- B. Everybody seemed to appeal to the charity.
- C. They raised a lot of money from the charity appeal.
- D. Very little money was raised by the charity appeal.
He talked about nothing except the weather.
- A. His sole topic of conversation was the weather.
- B. He had nothing to say about the weather.
- C. He talked about everything but the weather.
- D. He said he had not interested in the weather.
It never occurred to me to go by train.
- A. I used to go by train.
- B. I was used to going by train.
- C. I never find it boring to go by train
- D. I never thought of going by train.
I should have studied last night, but I was too tired.
- A. I couldn’t study last night because I was very tired.
- B. I studied last night, so I was very tired.
- C. I tried to study last night but I felt bored.
- D. I didn’t study last night because I felt very bored.
The doctor said, ‘You really ought to rest for a few days, Jasmine.’
- A. Jasmine’s doctor insisted that she should rest for a few days.
- B. The doctor suggested that Jasmine should take a short rest.
- C. The doctor strongly advised Jasmine to take a few days’ rest.
- D. It is the doctor’s recommendation that Jasmine rested shortly.
The sooner he stops smoking, the better he’ll feel.
- A. As soon as he feels better, he’ll try to stop smoking.
- B. When he stops smoking, he’ll begin to feel better.
- C. He feels so much better since he stopped smoking.
- D. Though he feels better, he still smokes.
The coffee was not strong. It didn’t keep us awake.
- A. The coffee was very strong, but it couldn’t keep us awake.
- B. The coffee was so strong that we couldn’t sleep.
- C. The coffee was not strong enough to keep us awake.
- D. We was kept awake because the coffee was strong.